Inclusion, equity, and access are ideals found in everything we do as librarians. This year’s conference will be presented as a hybrid from October 20 – 22. We will have both virtual and in-person presentations.
Nominations are now being accepted for the following NMLA Awards:
- Community Achievement Award – this award is given to librarians (those certified or with a degree) for outstanding library service or achievement at the local level. Also, may be given as NMLA’s recognition of an award from another source that has enhanced the library, and to the entire library community; thus, to a local, school, or academic librarian who has received a community, regional, or national honor.
- Honorary Life Membership Award – NMLA’s highest award is given to individuals for outstanding contributions to the purposes of NMLA, for constructive accomplishment rather than longevity, not limited to librarians, may be given to anyone for helping NMLA and/or libraries in New Mexico. Criteria: Significant contribution to NMLA and its activities throughout the library career. Scope of activity beyond own work location; achievements and contributions to NMLA growth are known within the library community, as well as being recognized by other persons or entities in New Mexico.
- Legislator of the Year Award – given to a New Mexico state legislator who has demonstrated leadership in the advancement of libraries throughout the state. Criteria: Notable legislative contribution to library funding, the issues of intellectual freedom, and/or access to library services.
- New Mexico Library Amigo Award – given to an individual (friend, volunteer, trustee, board member, other citizen, or other non-certified personnel) whose work on behalf of the local library has resulted in significant progress and/or achievement for that library; or in recognition of work in the promotion of library service within the state.
- New Mexico Library Leadership Award – given to librarians who have rendered outstanding service beyond the local community. Criteria: Notable contribution to the advancement of libraries within the state, known and recognized in more than one community. Contributions of a nature that bring recognition and/or enhance the image of libraries in general within New Mexico. Activities and efforts that have helped other librarians to improve their service capabilities.
These awards will be presented at the virtual 2021 NMLA Annual Conference scheduled for October 20 -22. This year’s conference will be presented as a hybrid. We will have both virtual and in-person presentations.
To nominate someone for an NMLA Award, please complete and email the attached form to Monika Glowacka-Musial, Chair of the NMLA Awards Committee, firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline to submit nominations for this year’s NMLA Awards is Tuesday, August 24, 2021.