The New Mexico State Library is pleased to offer circulating materials to public libraries within New Mexico to enhance their public programming. We recognize that hands-on experiences allow youth to develop their interests in science, technology, engineering, arts and math (STEAM).
Traveling book walks and exhibits allow libraries to share educational opportunities with their communities at no cost. We invite you to browse the available materials and select the best fit for your community.Click here to learn about the types of materials offered.
Requesting Items Tutorial
Circulating Programming Materials
If you are willing to pick up the kit in Santa Fe, we may be able to accommodate you. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a pick-up.
We cannot check out kits to non-libraries, but you can reach out to your local public library to collaborate and use these kits.
Here are the current limits on how many kits you can book per category:
StarNet – 1 at a time
STEM Trunks – 2 at a time
Mesa Prieta Trunks – 1 at a time
Book Walks – 1 easel/stand set and 2 storyboard sets at a time
Women’s History Banners – 1 set at a time
No, outdoor Bilingual Book Walks can be placed wherever you feel comfortable maintaining responsibility over them.
No, but you are welcome to book outdoor stands for outdoor events. Our indoor easels are lightweight which makes them great for indoor programming, but we do not recommend them for outdoor use.
There are suggested activities listed in each kit’s manual. Feel free to use those activities in your programming or make up your own according to the theme of the kit.
Each kit varies on how many people can participate in its activities. Please see each respective kits’ manuals for their inventories and prepare as such.
Yes! We understand that some materials may be difficult to transport in a standard vehicle, or it may be difficult to make the time to pick up the kit. Delivery is available for all New Mexico public libraries.
Created by Explora, our STEM to Read trunks explore a variety of topics suited for many audiences through 16 unique different trunks. Most kits include three activities. Some activities may require consumable items provided by the loaning library. To view the activities included and the consumables list, visit the booking page for your desired kit.
- A maximum of two STEM to Read trunks may be checked out at a time.
- The default booking period is 21 days, with a maximum of 42 days.
- Trunks must be booked two weeks in advance.
Created by StarNet, these kits are designed to teach audiences about solar science., and include interactive activities and solar viewing instruments. Two Multigenerational Programming Kits and two Younger Audience kits available for loan to public libraries.
- StarNet Kits are available to be loaned one at a time for a maximum of 21 days.
- Kits must be booked a minimum of two weeks in advance.
Mesa Prieta Petroglyph Trunks
Created by the Mesa Prieta Petroglyph Project, this kit offers a comprehensive look at New Mexico history and petroglyphs, though many activities. We recommend booking this kit far enough in advance to review the potential activities and curriculum included.
- Mesa Prieta kits are available to be loaned one at a time.
- The default load period is 21 days, with a maximum of 42 days.
- Trunks must be booked a minimum of two weeks in advance.
Bilingual Book Walks
Bilingual Books Walks are a fun and interactive reading experience to bring to your library and community. Choose between indoor and outdoor stands to display one of eight stories. Each story is 16 pages each and displays the text in both English and Spanish.
Please be sure to check out both your story and stands as they come separately.
- Book Walk outdoor stands come assembled, but libraries will need to insert the story boards.
- Receiving libraries should have staff on hand to assist with unloading outdoor stands.
Women's History Banners
Created by the New Mexico Historic Women Marker Program, four unique sets of banners are available in groups of ten. Each set includes nine important women in New Mexico history and one introductory banner. To read about the women featured in each set please view the booking pages.
- Women’s History banner sets are available to be loaned one at a time.
- The default loan period is 21 days, with a maximum of 42 days.
- Sets must be booked a minimum of two weeks in advance.
Delivery and Pick Up
- Delivery Service from NMSL will begin September 1, 2023.
- Please note that depending on your location, your delivery dates are subject to change to accommodate travel schedules and consolidation of deliveries to several libraries.
- Once your booking is confirmed, a staff member from Delivery Services will contact you to arrange final dates.
- If you have any questions about our delivery and pick up services please contact email@example.com
Pick Up Policy
- When reserving your booking, you can select to pick up your kit directly from the New Mexico State Library.
- Kits must be picked up and returned to NMSL between 8:00am and 4:30pm Monday-Friday.
- A NMSL staff member will contact you in advance of your pick-up date to confirm your arrival time.
How to Request Items
- To book, select your desired kit, either through the sidebar above or through LibCal.
- From the grid at the bottom of the page, select the desired start date for your booking item. Adjust the end date as needed. Please select a start date ahead of your program to allow yourself to become familiar with the materials and activities.
- You may add additional items to your cart, but you can only book items for the same date. If you wish to book another item for a different date, you must first check out your original item then repeat the process.
- Now, you may proceed to check out. Complete the booking form and hit submit. You will receive an email notifying you that your booking request has been received.
- An NMSL staff member will review your booking request. You will receive an email notifying if your booking has been accepted or denied.