Recruitment Announcement # 2016-020
POSITION TITLE Library Section Manager
SALARY RANGE: $22.66 – 40.57
DEPARTMENT Community Services
FLSA/UNION STATUS: Exempt/ Nonunion
PERIOD TO APPLY: 7/21/15 – 7/27/15 (NO LATER THAN 5:00 P.M.)
POSITION STATUS: Classified/ Full-Time
SUPERVISOR: Patricia Hodapp
LOCATION: Southside Library
View Original Posting Here (PDF)
Manages, supervises, and oversees operations in a library section within the Library System.
Works under the general guidance and direction of Library Service Director
Provides close to general supervision to staff.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (A position my not include all of the duties listed, nor do the listed examples include all duties that may be found in a position of this class.)
- Oversees and manages a section within the Library System (Circulation, Reference, etc.). Assists in the development of library section policies; develops and implements procedures; communicates policies to staff and patrons.
- Interviews and makes recommendations for hire of new employees; trains, assigns duties; handles personnel related issues including performance evaluations and disciplinary actions. Communicates Division and City of Santa Fe Rules, Regulations and Policies. Schedules and conducts staff meetings; reviews and processes timesheets and employee requests for time off.
- Provides assistance to the public and staff on the use of reference sources, including computer catalog and indices and on-line resources. Stays current on new informational resources.
- Works on the reference desk answering questions and instructing patrons in the use of library resources using a variety of tools such as on-line services, print materials, computer catalog, CD-Rom products, etc. Interprets and enforces library rules and policies; trains patrons in library use and reference tools.
- Oversees physical conditions of building and equipment in area of assignment; researches and secures bids for furniture, equipment and services for the library.
- May be assigned to work in one or more sections of the Library system.
Additional essential functions for assignment in Collection Management: Evaluates collection; makes decisions on discarding materials from the circulating collection; manages the arrangement of the circulating collection; makes selections of new materials; processes patron requests for materials; manages gifts to the collection. Selects and orders appropriate supplies within the budget.
Researches and requests bids and provides follow up for furniture, equipment and maintenance functions.
Additional essential functions for assignment in Reference Services: Selects current reference tools and replaces outdated sources; keeps reference tools current with local information; learns and updates automated technology and informs and instructs other reference desk staff members.
Reviews professional literature for reference purchases; manages the discarding of reference materials, orders replacements; reviews and evaluates automated products and other reference tools for purchase.
Oversees Inter-library loan services.
Additional essential functions for assignment in Youth Services: Coordinates the activities of the youth services staff throughout the system. Plans, publicizes, and Implements youth and family programming year round, including the Santa Fe Festival of the Book.
Plans youth programming for Works in partnership with other public and private agencies in the city to provide literacy activities.
Prepares funding requests and final reports. Establishes policies and procedures for the youth services system-wide.
Oversees the selection of age/developmentally appropriate books for the children’s and young adult section. Provides
reader’s advisory and reference, and educational services for adults, children, and young adults.
Additional essential functions for assignment in Circulation:
May serve on the automation committee
Participates in overall technology planning and PC support.
Researches and recommends new technology to better serve the public and staff.
- Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree; and
- Four (4) years of work experience in assigned area or Master’s degree in Library Science (MLS) plus two (2) years of professional library experience in circulation, reference or youth services, or collection management. Must have supervisory experience totaling one (1) year. Previous experience working with the public and general knowledge of computers is required; or
- An equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Extensive knowledge of library services tasks and of library operations, resource materials, reference and research methods. Knowledge of professional library practices and trends. Knowledge of the principles and application of effective supervisory techniques; knowledge of computer operations and of audio-visual equipment operation. Knowledge of community needs and interests; principles of book selection. Knowledge of automated systems in information retrieval and dissemination of information.
Considerable skill in the use of reference tools and resources for selection of materials.
Ability to type is required. Ability to present information clearly concisely, orally and in writing; to establish effective working relationships with associates and the public.
- Special Qualifications:
Must have knowledge of general office equipment including personal computers, photocopy machines, facsimile machines, etc.
- Work Environment:
Work is performed in an office environment with quiet to moderate level of noise. Position involves standing, walking, sitting, carrying, pulling, climbing, stooping, kneeling, crawling, crouching, reaching, and handling. Must be able to speak, hear and have good visual acuity including close, distance, peripheral, depth and color vision. Must be able to lift and/or move 20 pounds. May be required to work evening and weekends. May be required to respond to emergency calls during and outside regular library hours.
The City of Santa Fe is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the American’s with Disabilities Act, the City will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective employees and incumbents to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
VETERAN’S HIRING INITIATIVE
Pursuant to City of Santa Fe Resolution No. 2013-079, the City of Santa Fe Human Resources Department (HRD) has implemented a Veterans’ Hiring Initiative policy in order to provide opportunities for veterans who meet or exceed the minimum qualifications for city employment to obtain City employment. The Governing Body does not guarantee that a veteran shall be hired for the position being applied for, only that the veteran will be given an interview; and, it does not intend to supersede or modify any collective bargaining agreement that is currently in place with the City of Santa Fe.Job applicants who are veterans who have an honorable discharge from the military or are members of the National Guard or Reserve who have successfully completed basic training, must use the Veteran Certification Form to identify themselves and then must attach a copy of their DD214 or DD215 and/or their proof of current Active, Guard or Reserve enlistment in order to certify their status.
TO APPLY: Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of the city application form. Submit City of Santa Fe Application by one of the following methods: Fill out application at Human Resources Department, City Hall, 200 Lincoln Avenue, Santa Fe, NM; mail application to P.O. Box 909, Santa Fe, New Mexico 87504-0909; or fax application to (505) 955-6810. Applications may be downloaded from our website: www.santafenm.gov; or apply online at www.santafenm.gov. Applications become public record upon receipt and may be made available for public inspection upon request.
When required of the position, attach a copy of certification(s) or license(s). Copies of high school diploma/GED & college degree must be provided at time of interview. Pre-placement physical exams are required for some positions. Incomplete applications may delay or exclude consideration of your application.
View Original Posting Here (PDF)