For more information and to apply click here.
THE CITY OF PORTALES, NEW MEXICO
POSITION POSTING #2018-036
POSITION: YOUTH SERVICES LIBRARIAN
DEPARTMENT: PORTALES MUNICIPAL LIBRARY
REPORTS TO: LIBRARIAN
SHIFT: REGULAR – 40 HOURS PER WEEK
SALARY: MINIMUM $11.590 HOURLY
Reporting to the Librarian, the Youth Services Librarian is responsible for the planning, organizing, and directing youth service activities of the City Library which includes maintenance of library materials collection and bulletin boards. This position has responsibility for orientation/instruction in use of the library and equipment as well as working with the area schools.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Youth programming.
- Summer Reading program.
- Plan and implement weekly Storytime activities.
- Coordinate Family Reading Nights and the After-School STEAM program.
- Perform as liaison with area schools and pubic relations.
- Duties include library orientation, reference, circulation, and instruction of on-line databases.
- Select and recommend materials for purchase.
- Data entry.
- Compile statistical information.
- Responsible for bulletin boards.
- Grant Writing.
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS:
- MLS or college degree in related field preferred or equivalent experience.
- Experience in working with children essential.
- Must have good working knowledge of children’s literature and on-line databases.
- Library experience and/or training is desired.
- Working knowledge of computer operations required.
- Programming skills helpful.
- Must have good communication and customer service skills.
- Ability to lift up to twenty-five (25) pounds occasionally, from ground to waist level, or from ground to shoulder level.
- Ability to sit for up to four hours at one time, and up to eight (8) hours total per day, with opportunities to change positions.
- Ability to stand or walk up to four (4) hours at a time, and up to eight (8) hours total per day.
- Ability to crouch and/or kneel.
- Ability to bend at the waist and twist or rotate if necessary.
- Ability to lift items above head.
- Ability to work with arms bent for up to (4) four hours at a time, and up to eight (8) hours total per day.
- Ability to grasp and manipulate such items as paperwork, telephone, writing utensils, and other items used throughout the workday.
- Ability to coordinate use of hands and eyes in operation of various office equipment.
The regular work week is 8 hours a day, Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., with one hour off for lunch. Some Saturdays are required, at least every other Saturday, as well as some evenings for attending meetings.
- Limited travel – ability to travel for training may be required.
- Overnight travel may be required.
- Must pass a background investigation including work history, criminal records, driving records and other records deemed necessary.
- Must pass a post-offer pre-employment drug screen administered by a City-designated facility.
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT REQUIRED APPLICATION: by 5:00 p.m. September 4, 2018. Applicant must submit required application to Human Resources at City Hall, 100 W. First Street, Portales, N.M. 88130 or online at www.portalesnm.gov.
The City of Portales is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Drug Free Workplace.