The University of New Mexico Health Sciences Library & Informatics Center has an opening for a Research Data Librarian.
- Posting Number: req22016
- Employment Type: Faculty
- Faculty Type: Open Rank
- Hiring Department: HS Library (483A)
- Academic Location: Health Sciences Library and Informatics Ctr
The Health Sciences Library & Informatics Center (HSLIC) at the University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center (UNM HSC) seeks applicants for a Research Data Librarian. Research data management and sharing is of growing interest at UNM HSC, and the Research Data Librarian will be at the forefront of initiatives on campus to support and promote these efforts. The UNM HSC is a research-intense, Hispanic-serving institution with a large health system supporting the State of New Mexico and its unique populations. The HSC’s mission is to continuously improve health and health equity in New Mexico, with a strong emphasis on partnerships with communities and community-based research solutions. Given these unique characteristics and the amount of clinical research, areas of particular emphasis in research data collection, management, sharing, and curation include clinical data and tribal data sovereignty.
The Research Data Librarian will work to expand the library’s advocacy with the UNM HSC research community and increase awareness of services in the areas of data management and curation, data ethics (including tribal data sovereignty), and data literacy. The Research Data Librarian will collaborate with UNM Libraries Research Data Services colleagues and other stakeholders to promote greater awareness, and improve university-wide data management and sharing. The position will create and implement effective and sustainable programs and tools in order to meet the needs of faculty and researchers, undergraduate and graduate students, and HSLIC’s faculty and staff. This position will be a vital part of a highly collaborative library team that seeks to learn together and support each other. A successful candidate will be curious and willing to grow and develop as a professional, while helping others to grow and learn as part of the campus community.
This position reports to the Division Head for Resources, Archives and Discovery (RAD) and also works with members of the RAD team and other library divisions to support the information needs of the students, staff, and faculty of the UNM HSC, and the broader UNM community. In addition to research data activities, other responsibilities include research and scholarship; teaching; consultations; and committee service. Participation in professional development and library initiatives includes engaging in professional service activities, contributing to the health information sciences profession through participation in relevant organizations, and scholarly communication. We strongly encourage those who are passionate about fostering diverse, equitable, and inclusive libraries and research data practices to apply.
This is a full-time, benefits eligible faculty position with a primary appointment in HSLIC. The UNM provides a diversified package of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. In addition, UNM offers educational benefits through tuition remission and dependent education programs. For a more complete explanation of benefits, go to: https://hr.unm.edu/benefits
Appointment is posted as open rank, to be determined based on qualifications. Salary range: $61,380-$75,210.
- Engages and supports researchers in the areas of data management planning, funder/publisher data requirements (including clinical data), publication and citation of data and code, and locating relevant data sets for use in research projects.
- Engages with researchers in discussions of institutional data management policies and best practice through campus initiatives.
- Encourages and promotes ethical open data, open research, and FAIR and CARE data principles across disciplines, in line with the institution’s mission to connect people in the state, across the nation and the world with vital research.
- Promotes awareness and provides guidance to HSC researchers and collaborators about tribal data sovereignty and governance for the collection, ownership and application of tribal data.
- Partners with the UNM HSC Clinical and Translational Science Center, the research offices at HSC and UNM, academic and clinical departments, and other stakeholders across campus to develop education and resources.
- Provides leadership for the creation of a data catalog to link other researchers and the public to UNM HSC’s research data.
- Manages and provides instruction in HSLIC’s data and software carpentries workshops and data-related educational opportunities.
- Provides leadership by identifying data literacy and management opportunities, developing appropriate instructional materials, and opportunities to meet student and faculty needs.
- Collaborates and partners with UNM Libraries Research Data Services colleagues to develop and enhance university-wide efforts to improve data management and sharing.
- Seeks funding and partnerships to build and improve upon data management activities, promotion of open science, and accessibility of open data.
- Develops and executes grant-based special projects.
- Participates as an active and collaborative member of the Resources, Archives and Discovery
- Division in division projects, making resources and data more accessible, and providing trainings and workshops at HSLIC.
- Participates in scholarship/research, committee service, and strategic planning activities.
For more information and TO APPLY: https://unm.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/18/home/requisition/22016?c=unm