The City of Roswell, Roswell Public Library is looking for a Reference Librarian.
Schedule: 9AM to 6PM M-F Some evening and weekends
Status: Non-exempt, Salary
Type: Regular, Full-time
HOURLY RATE RANGE: $19.35 – $28.18
SUMMARY: Under the general supervision of the Library Director and works collaboratively with other reference librarians provides reference and reading advisory services at the Roswell Public Library (RPL). Serves as a member of the reference team and Librarian in charge as scheduled.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. This is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents of this class; employees may be assigned duties which are not listed below; reasonable accommodations will be made as required. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement and is subject to change at any time by the employer. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provides reference and information service, reader’s advisory and services to library patrons.
- Provides training to library patrons and staff for the public computers, printers and other equipment and devices.
- Assist library patrons and staff with library software program including online catalog and Microsoft Office.
- Assists with Interlibrary loans and oversees Interlibrary Loans in the absence of the ILL Librarian.
- Designs pathfinders, reading lists, displays, exhibits and bulletin boards.
- Follows process, guidelines and best practices for reference services.
- Maintains accurate statistics for the reference desk, meeting room and other statistics as directed.
- Maintains data privacy and support rights of Library patrons.
- Coordinates with library staff, city departments and/or other agencies to promote and implement library programs and services, special events, and intergenerational and inclusive programming.
- Directly selects and maintains Roswell Public Library collections as assigned.
- Process the magazine and newspaper collection.
- Assists with library security; checks to assure patrons comply with policies and procedures
- Regularly serves as Librarian in charge.
- Serves as a Roswell Public Library representative on various committees and workgroups.
- Communicates effectively with staff and the public.
- Contributes to the Roswell Public Library by suggesting areas of improvement, innovation and training.
- Understands Roswell Public Library policies and procedures and can apply them to library operations.
- Maintains harmonious, courteous and understanding relationships, while fostering a collaborative teamwork environment in the Library.
- Works closely with the City of Roswell IT Department, and Public Affairs Department to promote the Roswell Public Library services and programs
- Supports the relationship between the City of Roswell and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information; performs other duties as required or assigned.
- Applies City of Roswell policies and procedures.
Education, Training and Experience Guidelines:
- Masters in Library Science OR an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to interact effectively with Library staff, vendors and the general public.
- City policies and procedures.
- Regulations and standards governing public library operations.
- Public library programs, policies, and procedures.
- Reference and reading advisory, resources and practices.
- Collection development and management.
- Dewey Decimal System.
- Basic computer functions.
- Basic database administration rules and procedures.
- Safety rules and regulations, occupational hazards, and safety precautions in public facilities.
- Delivering quality library programs and services to the community.
- Selection and maintenance of library collections.
- Applying library research methods and practices
- Interacting with people of different social, economic, and ethnic backgrounds.
- Operating a personal computer and specialized software and equipment (for example, printers, facsimile, telephones, mobile devices, iPad, Kindle).
- Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with co-workers and local agencies.
- Effective verbal and written communication.
- Ability to acquire a thorough knowledge of Library activities.
Desirable Special Qualifications:
- Bilingual in English and Spanish.
- Master’s Degree in Library Service.
- 3 to 5 years of experience in a public library.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Masters in Library Science.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
- Work is performed in a standard office and public library environment.
- Ability to maintain physical condition and stamina appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities which may include sitting, standing or walking for extended period of time, driving, riding in vehicles.
- The usual requirements require the ability to stand for 4 hours at a time, lift up to 25 pounds, and push a loaded book truck weighing up to 120 pounds.
- Work may require lifting boxes of supplies, equipment and adjustment of furniture.
- Position requires frequent bending, reading squatting and lifting.
- Specific hearing abilities required by this job include computer pings, phone rings, and public conversations.
- Vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to perform duties and adapt to flexible work schedules as established by management, which may include fairly irregular schedules, long hours, weekends and evenings. May be called when needed.
- Must be able to pass a rigid background investigation including work history, criminal records, driving records and other records deemed necessary.
- Pre-employment drug screen administered by city designated facility.