SALARY: $14.63 /Hour
Hiring Rate: $14.6327
JOB TYPE: Exempt position, not eligible for overtime compensation.
OPENING DATE: 12/09/16
CLOSING DATE: 12/27/16 11:59 PM
Assists library patrons in locating materials and answering reference questions; assists patrons with
computers and other technology; selects and maintains materials in assigned collections.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
• Responsible for all aspects of collection development in assigned subject areas;
• Arranges, coordinates, or conducts computer classes for the public;
• Coordinates and implements adult programming, book displays, and prepares bibliographies;
• Proctors exams for students taking correspondence or online classes;
• Provides assistance to library patrons via telephone, email, or in person, including locating
materials, instructing on computer use, answering reference questions, and researching topics;
• Updates and maintains: State, County, Municipal, and Public Review documents and statutes;
• Prepares reports and statistical information as required;
• Attends staff and professional meetings and workshops as required;
• Maintains knowledge of current library trends, policies, and practices through reading of
• Develops and maintains local history and specialized collection files;
• Opens and/or closes library on assigned days and closes out register;
• May prepare daily money deposit;
• Contributes to a high quality work culture through participation in training and mentoring to
develop skills, including safety related training and skills;
• Provides excellent customer service and ensures high operational and service standards for the
citizens of Alamogordo; and
• Performs duties according to City of Alamogordo Ordinances, City-wide and Departmental Policies
and Procedures, and any applicable laws regulated by an outside authority.
OTHER IMPORTANT DUTIES
• Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be
performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• Current developments in the library field; and
• Principles and practices of professional library reference services, including use of traditional and
computer reference sources.
• Demonstrate proficiency in both oral and written communication;
• Assist patrons with technology, media, and reference related requests;
• Operate standard office equipment, including fax machine, copier, calculator, microfilm reader
and computer using standard word processing, spreadsheet, Internet, and library automation
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, other City employees,
other local libraries, community organizations, schools, vendors, and the general public.
• Master’s Degree in Library Science with one year experience or:
• Bachelor Degree in Library Science or Liberal Arts with two (2) years of Library Reference
• MLS or Grade II Library Certification, or the ability to obtain within the first year of
• Any equivalent combination of education, experience, and training which provide the required
knowledge, skills, and abilities.
• Master’s Degree in Library Science.
• Work is performed in an indoor/library environment.
• Will be required to stand or sit for long periods of time.
• Will be required to stoop, bend and lift multiple books at one time.
• Must be able to work variable shifts including evenings and weekends.
The City of Alamogordo is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Note based on the New Mexico Public Records Act, all applicants information is
public record with the exception of specific information excluded by this Act.