For more information and to apply, click here.
Under general supervision, performs daily work assignments for the Library Division of the Community Services Department, in accordance with the Employee Manual, Department Policies and Procedures, City of Alamogordo Ordinances, and any applicable State or Federal authority.
- Recruitment Qualifications
OTHER IMPORTANT DUTIES
- Responsible for all aspects of collection development in assigned subject areas;
- Arranges, coordinates, or conducts computer classes for the public;
- Coordinates and implements adult programming, book displays, and prepares bibliographies;
- Proctors exams for students taking correspondence or online classes;
- Conducts effective reference interviews;
- Assists library patrons via telephone, email, or in person, including locating materials, instructing on computer use, answering reference questions, and researching topics;
- Updates and maintains State, County, Municipal, and Public Review documents and statutes;
- Prepares reports and statistical information as required;
- Attends staff and professional meetings, training conferences, and workshops as required;
- Maintains knowledge of current library trends, policies, and practices through the reading of professional materials;
- Develops and maintains local history and specialized collection files;
- Responsible for opening and/or closing the library on assigned days;
- May receive cash or other forms of payment, closes out the register, and prepares the daily deposit;
- Contributes to a high-quality work culture through participation in training and mentoring to develop skills, including safety related training and skills;
- Interacts professionally and provides excellent customer service to all levels of City staff and citizens, to ensure high operational and service standards; and
- Performs duties in accordance with the Employee Manual, Department Policies and Procedures, City of Alamogordo Ordinances, and any applicable State or Federal authority.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Will be required to work variable shifts including days, evenings and weekends;
- Maintains the confidentiality of information obtained during performance of duties;
- Occasional out-of-town travel may be required; and
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
- Essential Duties
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Principles and practices of professional library reference services, including use of traditional and computer reference sources;
- Effective reference interview techniques;
- Inter-library loan procedures; and
- Current developments in the library field.
- Understand and follow instructions;
- Demonstrate proficiency in both oral and written communication;
- Assist patrons with technology, media, and reference related requests;
- Perform duties in a professional manner and demonstrate understanding, patience, and open-mindedness while assisting library patrons who are diverse in culture, beliefs, lifestyle, demographics, socioeconomic background, etc.;
- Operate standard office equipment, including fax machine, copier, calculator, microfilm reader and computer using standard word processing, spreadsheet, Internet, and library automation software;
- Perform duties independently or with minimal supervision;
- Responsibly handle cash, close out a register, and prepare deposits;
- Safely drive a City vehicle in the performance of duties, as needed;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers;
- Work well with others and participate fully in a team-oriented environment;
- Interface with other employees and customers in a courteous and respectful manner;
- Project positive support of the Community Services Department and all City organizations always; and
- Maintain and enhance the Alamogordo Public Library’s commitment to customer service excellence.
- Bachelor’s Degree in any field awarded by an accredited college or university;
- Three (3) years of library reference experience;
- Valid New Mexico Driver’s License, or the ability to obtain within 60 days, with a driving record acceptable to the City of Alamogordo (valid out-of-state license may be considered);
- Or, any equivalent combination of education, experience, and training which provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Master’s Degree in Library Science.
- Work Environment
- Work is performed in an indoor/library environment;
- Will be required to stand or sit for long periods of time;
- Will be required to walk, stoop, bend, and lift multiple books at one time; and
- Must be able to work variable shifts including evenings and weekends.
- City Of Alamogordo
- 1376 E 9th StAlamogordo, New Mexico, 88310