For more information and to apply, click here.
JOB TITLE: Program Specialist
JOB CODE: 325
DEPARTMENT/DIVISION: Community Services
SUPERVISOR: Division Manager, Department Director or Designee
Under limited supervision of the Division Manager, Department Director or designee, coordinates and assesses programs and community-wide special events, generates public information for the Community Services Department or Division, assists in the development, production, and distribution of information for cooperative activities involving the division, department, the county, related community service providers, and the community as a whole. Maintains confidentiality of all privileged information.
The general level and nature of this position are described in the headings below. This is not an al/ inclusive list of all responsibilities/ duties/ and skills required of personnel in this classification. Duties/ responsibilities and activities may change at any time.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serves as the contact for community-wide special events and
- Coordinates departmental or division efforts in the design, program development, organization, promotion, marketing, scheduling, implementation and evaluation of programs and
- Participat es and collaborates on committees and with community
- Participates in the development and distribution of community information and resource listings, including calendars, brochures, newsletters, flyers, radio, and television spots, press and social media
- Enters and maintains information on the Los Alamos County web
- Creates, edits, publishes, and distributes the print and electronic newsletters and internal and external
- Assists in t he development and analysis of needs assessment tools .
- Assists in the development of the department’s long-range
- Collects and analyzes data ; prepares and presents scheduled and special report s; maintains program/project records and statistical
- Assists with grant and/or proposal writing as appropriate to the objectives and funding nature of the
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by conducting research; attending seminars, educational workshops, classes and conferences; reviewing professional publications; establishing networks; participating in professional societies; conferring with representatives of contracting agencies and related
- Maintains confidentiality of all privileged
- Contributes to a team effort and accomplishes related results as re
- Leads and coordinates projects of significant
- Performs other duties as required
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Marketing, Administration, Communication, Art, Writing, or related field, or equivalent combination of education and related work experience.
- Two years’ experience developing, promoting, and/or implementing successful special
- Grant writing
- Web page content and layout design
- Valid New Mexico driver’s
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of communication principles, media, and marketing techniques.
- Knowledge of public relations and technical writing
- Knowledge of fundraising campaigns and
- Knowledge of grant and proposal
- Skill in operating various word-processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and database software programs in a Windows
- Skill in using the Adobe suite that includes Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign, , and Windows Publisher.
- Skill in customer/client relationships, establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with employees and the general
- Ability to gain knowledge of applicable federal and state, laws, regulations, and
- Ability to coordinate and organize meetings and/or special
- Ability to assess community interests and needs and to recommend programs that respond to those
- Ability to analyze information and to conduct research for preparation of reports and
- Ability to create, compose, and edit written
- Ability to develop and maintain recordkeeping systems and
- Ability to prepare reports; to edit, organize and present clearly and concisely, oral and written reports of findings and
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to use a digital single-lens reflex camera (DSLR) to produce quality
- Ability to establish and maintain professional relationships with individuals of varying social and cultural backgrounds and with co-workers at all
- Ability to maintain
While performing the duties of this job, the employee routinely sits, stands, walks, talks and hears. The employee regularly uses manual dexterity and visual acuity to complete tasks. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Work is performed in a professional office environment with a moderate noise level, occasionally working under stressful conditions and for extended periods of time. This position routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones and photocopiers. Evening, holiday, and weekend work outside of normal business hours may be required as well as travel and attendance at meetings.