Position: Librarian – Open Educational Resources and Community Outreach
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Job Type: Term Appointment
Pay Rate: $56,000
Work Location/Campus Center: Las Vegas, NM Campus
Position Summary: The Librarian – Open Educational Resources and Community Outreach, is responsible for supporting the university’s National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) –Connecting Minority Communities (CMC) Grant program’s OER (Open Educational Resources) component and working with the area school districts in meeting the grant’s objectives.
New Mexico Highlands University along with a consortium of Northern New Mexico (NNM partners in higher education, public schools and community organizations are creating a new educational program that uses digital technology to deliver culturally responsive curriculum to underserved populations in NNM. The curriculum is grounded in Acequia and Land Grant education, a topic that infuses the NM heritage of Native, Indigenous, Hispanic and also Anglo populations and will be delivered as open educational resources (OERs) at no cost to participants.
Under the general direction of the Library Director, the Librarian – Open Educational Resources and Community Outreach will assist subject matter experts and instructional designers on developing course material, advise on copyright matters, and assist with the development of repository and platform to disseminate programming micro credentials as free OERs during and post funding cycle. In addition, this position will manage the NMHU Donnelly Library, West Las Vegas Schools, and Las Vegas City Schools Connected Communities HUBS where hardware,relay equipment and software can be accessed for the program by eligible participants.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee circulation of equipment provided by the grant. This includes the loan of computers at the university library and area school districts as needed.
- Work with subject matter experts and instructional designers on developing course material.
- Work with subject matter experts and instructional designers on digitizing original material forinclusion in OERs and advising on copyright matters related to the OERs.
- Advise on copyright and OER issues.
- Prepare user guides in collaboration with grant staff and NMHU librarians.
- Work with NMHU librarians on archival, cataloging, and other related responsibilities.
- Plan, organize, coordinate, measure, and evaluate work activities.
- Prepare monthly statistical reports and other reports as needed.
- Be familiar with the policies and update procedures as needed.
- Coordinate with other NMHU librarians to prepare library instruction curricula.
- Provide assistance at the NMHU Reference Desk, as well as provide research assistance to patrons in person and via phone, mail, email, and chat (Online help desk) on a rotational basis.
- Assist users in using library resources, providing information on library services, facilities,regulations and standard references.
- Participate as a member of the university committees.
- Read job-related information and research concerning aspects of library development,publication, and involvement in library associations.
- Will teach NMHU’s 1-credit hour research course and provide bibliographic instruction for individual classes.
- Maintain regular attendance.
- Perform any other Library and grant related activity as instructed by the Library Director.
Minimum Job Requirements
- EDUCATION: A Master’s degree in Library and Information Science from an American Library Association accredited university.
- EXPERIENCE: None
- Professional library or academic library experience.
- Experience with OERs (Open Educational Resources).
- Experience working with K-12 schools.
Special Conditions for Eligibility
- Occasional out-of-town travel for meetings and conferences using a personal or company vehicle.
- Willing to work evenings, weekends, holidays, and odd hours.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of information technology;
- Windows based operating systems;
- Microsoft office products;
- Evaluate and select instructional resources;
- Present information in a class situation;
- Analytical, problem solving and organizational skills;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Demonstrate a commitment to working in a team environment as well as commitment todiversity, continuous improvement, and the university philosophy
- Repetitive hand motions, prolonged use of computer-Frequently
- Lifting up to 40 pounds-Occasionally
- Work is performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
- Work with frequent interruptions.
- Work in dirty/dusty conditions occasionally
- Occasionally work around fumes/odors
EEO Statement: New Mexico Highlands University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. We are committed to the University values of diversity, accessibility, excellence, and responsiveness. For disabled access or services call 505-454-3242 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Equal Employment Opportunity is THE LAW.
Documents Needed to Apply
- Required Documents
- Cover Letter/ Letter of Interest
- Unofficial Transcripts Conferring Required Degree
- Optional Documents
- Letter(s) of Recommendation