For more information and to apply, click here.
Library Supervisor (Circulation and Media Services)
- Nature of Work
Plans, coordinates, and manages operations, functions, procedures, and staff in the Circulation section of the Library to ensure compliance with policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
Position involves competing demands, performing multiple tasks, working to deadlines, occasional work beyond normal business hours, and responding to customer issues. Regular attendance is an essential function of this job to ensure continuity of services. Position is subject to drug testing in accordance with applicable State and Federal regulations and City of Las Cruces policy.
Work is performed in a library & office setting. Light physical demands; mostly desk work; some lifting of heavy books and materials. Frequent use of a personal computer.
Meeting or exceeding the minimum requirements does not guarantee an invitation to participate in the process.
FIRST CONSIDERATION MAY BE GIVEN TO CURRENT EMPLOYEES WHO MEET THE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS.
Full-time, regular, exempt position.
This position is graded RX17.
- Duties and Responsibilities
- Analyzes circulation operations and service delivery issues to research, recommend, and implement appropriate solutions; evaluates existing programs, systems, and training to determine effectiveness, research solutions, and make recommendations.
- Meets regularly with staff to review work in progress, discuss and resolve administrative, workload, and technical issues, and to prioritize and assign tasks and projects; evaluates and analyzes functions, resources, processes, and procedures to identify issues and recommend changes for improvement; interprets applicable rules and regulations within scope of authority to provide leadership and guidance in developing, implementing, and administering policies and procedures.
- Manages staff through proper delegation and work supervision to provide appropriate levels of service and resources; monitors work, evaluates performance, trains, counsels, coaches, and instructs employees in order to meet goals and objectives; ensures staff adhere to established policies and procedures to remain in compliance with local, state and federal regulations.
- Collects and analyzes data to prepare and present various special and recurring reports to provide accurate and timely information related to assigned functions and duties; develops and presents information in clear and easily used formats; maintains regulatory compliance by keeping current on industry trends, regulations, and issues; identifies areas of concern for management for review and potential action.
- Manages and monitors financial activities of assigned budgets to ensure compliance and meet performance targets and goals; oversees procurement activities for supplies, services, equipment, and other items to assure activities comply with established policies and processes.
- Resolves customer service issues and responds to inquiries; interprets and explains library policies, procedures, rules, and regulations to ensure consistent application and timely resolution of issues; researches, reviews, and compiles data of library activities, operations, processes, and procedures to prepare and present various special and recurring reports; performs special research and project work and assists in development and management of assigned budgets to meet established objectives.
- Reviews, maintains, and updates records in various formats, mediums, and automated systems to ensure data integrity and adherence to internal controls, practices, and policies; evaluates programs, services, and activities to ensure customer and staff needs are met; demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless services.
- Collaborates with staff in support of strategic initiatives related to the functions of the position and Department to improve services and ensure continuity of service delivery.
- Oversees library security to assure safety and compliance with policies and procedures; participates in the maintenance of library collections including material processing, title selection, and weeding items from the library collection/database.
- Performs various other librarian duties as necessary and participates in applicable educational and training opportunities to maintain and enhance expertise in the field.
- Minimum Qualifications
Equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree with major course work in liberal arts, library science, business or public administration, or related field, PLUS three (3) years of experience working in a public library environment to include supervisory or lead experience. A combination of education, experience and training may be applied in accordance with City of Las Cruces policy.
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of: principles and practices of public library administration; current methods and techniques involved in library circulation practices and procedures; methods and procedures for developing and maintaining library collections; policies, rules, and regulations governing the conduct and safety of library programs and facilities; library classification, cataloging, and acquisition protocols; techniques and protocols for researching a variety of online bibliographic databases; effective customer service, communication, and problem resolution techniques and methods; principles and practices of inventory control, budgeting, employee supervision, and administrative management; occupational and environmental safety and health hazards, and safety practices and procedures; principles of record keeping and records management; appropriate business English, spelling, grammar, punctuation, proofreading and editing; modern office equipment, business and personal computers, and applicable software applications; report generation and mathematical aptitude; City organization, operations, policies and procedures to effectively perform the required functions and duties of the position.
Ability to: perform a variety of duties and responsibilities and assess and prioritize multiple tasks, projects, and demands; ensure appropriate levels of staffing and customer service; read, interpret, comprehend and ensure compliance with policies, procedures, specifications, rules, and regulations governing related activities, programs, and functions; read, understand, interpret, and assure compliance with a variety of policies, procedures, rules, and regulations governing related activities, programs, and functions; firmly and impartially supervise, coach, lead and direct the activities of staff; research and compile applicable information and maintain accurate records; maintain confidentiality of sensitive information and data; communicate effectively in verbal and written forms; prepare and present accurate and reliable reports containing findings and recommendations; review documents and extract relevant information; establish and maintain effective and appropriate working relationships with employees, other agencies, and the public; operate standard office equipment and timely and accurately enter data using a personal computer with basic and specialized software applications; present a positive image; take initiative and exercise sound independent judgment within established procedural guidelines to successfully meet expectations and established goals and objectives.
Skills in: performing a wide variety of technical library support functions; developing, coordinating and conducting library programs and activities; identifying library collection issues and developing suggestions for enhancements; using initiative and independent judgment within established procedural guidelines; reading, interpreting, understanding, and applying policies, procedures, and applicable rules and regulations; assessing needs and developing and implementing effective solutions; researching, analyzing, and synthesizing data, evaluating alternatives and making logical recommendations based on findings; reviewing, evaluating, and verifying data, records, calculations and documentation; maintaining accurate and timely records; effectively managing and leading staff and delegating tasks; operating a personal computer with installed generic and specialized software; preparing and presenting information in a clear and concise manner; demonstrating effective interpersonal communication skills, building consensus among groups and individuals, and conflict resolution.
- City of Las Cruces
P.O. Box 20000
Las Cruces, New Mexico, 88004