For more information and to apply, click here.
- Under general supervision, performs daily work assignments for the Library Division of the Community Services Department, in accordance with the Employee Manual, Department Policies and Procedures, City of Alamogordo Ordinances, and any applicable State or Federal authority.
- Recruitment Qualifications
- Essential Duties
- Manages and supervises direct-report staff by coordinating, assigning, and reviewing work to ensure compliance with policies and procedures;
- Conducts employee evaluations, introductory and annual; makes recommendations for hiring, promoting, and releasing employees;
- Initiates and administers corrective action, as necessary, according to the Employee Manual;
- Mentors’ employees to full potential and ensures appropriate training is given to meet the standards of the position held;
- Plans, organizes, and administers the operations of the city library system, including formulating and evaluating achievement of library goals and objectives, developing and evaluating library policies and programs, and defining library operating procedures;
- Reviews and selects books, publications, audiovisual materials, electronic data bases other electronic materials, and related equipment for acquisition by the library to maintain well balanced collections throughout the library system;
- Ensures that library materials are properly cataloged;
- Works closely with the Library Advisory Board, Friends of the Library and Library Foundation, and other Library support groups;
- Prepares, submits for approval, and implements departmental annual budget, and monitors and approves expenditures;
- Supervises the maintenance of library buildings, grounds, and related property;
- Directly supervises the system administrator for the library’s computer system, whose duties include; planning and training, researching new software possibilities, and updating and maintaining the library’s on-line catalog and circulation systems;
- Consults with officials of other libraries, educational agencies, and major library resource centers to develop new library programs and to remain abreast of current library trends, including traveling to conferences and trade shows;
- Plans publicity, develops public relations programs, and participates in community activities.
- Plans and coordinates capital improvement programs, including planning alterations to existing facilities and construction of new facilities;
- Makes public presentations and represents the City on committees, boards, and with civic organizations and while conducting outside City-related activities;
- Assists library patrons with requests, questions, and/or problems, as necessary;
- Promotes local, state, and national advancement of library services, and participates in the activities of local and regional library service systems and various library professional organizations;
- Prepares reports, as necessary;
- Makes use of services, grants, and networks offered by local, state, and federal governments, and serves on boards and committees as appropriate;
- Establishes procedures to assure the highest standards of risk management, employee safety, and risk avoidance;
- Responsible for thoroughly investigating, reviewing, and addressing department or division accidents to prevent future occurrences and control risk management related costs;
- Contributes to a high-quality work culture through participation in training and mentoring to develop skills, including safety related training and skills;
- Interacts professionally and provides excellent customer service to all levels of City staff and citizens, to ensure high operational and service standards; and
- Performs duties in accordance with the Employee Manual, Department Policies and Procedures, City of Alamogordo Ordinances, and any applicable State or Federal authority.
OTHER IMPORTANT DUTIES
- Will be required to work variable shifts including days, evenings and weekends;
- Maintains the confidentiality of information obtained during performance of duties;
- Occasional out-of-town travel may be required; and
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Essential Duties
- REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Budgeting and finance techniques;
- Personnel policies and procedures;
- Library reference systems;
- Knowledge of and participation in; local, state, and national library interest and professional groups; and
- Management and supervisory skills and techniques.
- Supervise, motivate, train, and evaluate employees;
- Demonstrate proficiency in both oral and written communication;
- Establish effective working relationships with area organizations, schools, employees, representatives of other libraries, vendors, and the general public; and
- Operate office equipment, including fax machine, copier, calculator, microfilm reader, and computer using standard word processing, spreadsheet, and data inquiry software.
- Master’s degree in library science;
- Five years of related library experience;
- One year of supervisory and administrative experience; and
- Valid New Mexico Driver’s License, or the ability to obtain within 60 days, with a driving record acceptable to the City of Alamogordo (valid out-of-state license may be considered); or
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and ability to perform in this position.
- Work Environment
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job;
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear;
- The employee is occasionally required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms;
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds;
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus;
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job;
- The noise level in the work environment I usually moderately quiet; and
- Work may be performed both indoors and outdoors.
- City Of Alamogordo
1376 E 9th St
Alamogordo, New Mexico, 88310