Salary: $17.40 Hourly
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Job Type: Full-time, Regular, non-exempt
Closing: 5/9/2022 11:59 PM Mountain
This position is graded RN07
Nature of Work
- Provides clerical and technical support in the provision of library materials and excellent customer services at a variety of library service points in areas of circulation, media, acquisitions, cataloging, inter-library loan, and reader’s advisory functions.
Work Situation Factors
- Position involves competing demands, performing multiple tasks, working to deadlines, occasional work beyond normal business hours, and responding to customer issues.
- Regular attendance is an essential function of this job to ensure continuity of services.
- Position is subject to drug testing in accordance with applicable State and Federal regulations and City of Las Cruces policies.
- Light physical demands; mostly desk work.
- Must be able to lift & carry up to 20 pounds of books and push a loaded book truck up and down ramps.
- Frequent use of a personal computer.
- Work is performed in a library & office setting; May also involve driving and working in bookmobile.
- FIRST CONSIDERATION MAY BE GIVEN TO CURRENT CITY OF LAS CRUCES EMPLOYEES WHO MEET THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS.
- Meeting or exceeding the minimum qualifications does not guarantee an invitation to participate in the process.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides excellent customer service in a courteous and respectful manner to assist patrons with the use of library materials; provides customer service in borrowing and returning library materials; responds to inquiries, both in person and over the phone; assists customers in using computers and retrieving information; provides routine care and maintenance of library equipment; may respond to user complaints; resolve problems with patrons regarding lost, damaged, overdue books and fines.
- Provides customer services at a variety of locations with bookmobiles and special outreach services; checks books & materials in and out; loads and unloads materials; sorts, replaces and updates book & materials selection; provides special reading programs for customers; maintains log sheets; may drive bookmobile to various locations; conducts pre-trip inspections and performs routine maintenance.
- Receives, processes, and handles library books & materials for collection; shelves library materials within the appropriate area and empties book drops accurately and in a timely manner; applies barcodes, security strips, spine labels, genre labels, and bookplates; attaches book jackets and repairs items on an as-needed basis; makes minor repairs to library materials; charges and discharges library materials at circulation points.
- Collects fines using automated circulation system; functions as section cashier, which includes receiving cash, performing daily reconciliation, making bank deposits, and maintaining petty cash fund in accordance with City policy and procedures.
- May perform interlibrary loan functions; searches, identifies, and retrieves materials requested from other libraries and materials requested by other libraries; monitors copyright compliance; edits online database accurately to request materials; manages cooperative document delivery program and maintains transactional statistics.
- May provide clerical support for application database; prepares print and non-print library materials for circulation in accordance with bibliographic format; inserts barcode, price, material type, status, special messages and notes; assigns classification numbers and subject headings to bibliographic records; prepares patron library card records and adjusts records as needed.
- May assist in the implementation of children and young adult library programs; promote and host programs. assists with preparation and implementation of library programs
- May perform materials verification work involved in the acquisition of library materials including submitting orders to vendors, resolving billing and delivery problems with vendors, canceling orders, preparing invoices for payment, and maintaining financial files and records.
- May oversee workflow of students and volunteers in the department; may assist with the training of other Assistants; may also serve as technical resource to other Assistants on library programs, policies and procedures.
- Equivalent to a High school diploma AND two years experience as a Library Assistant. A combination of education, experience, and training may be applied in accordance with City of Las Cruces policy.
- Associate’s degree in Library Science is desirable.
- Valid Class D driver’s license may be required or preferred. If applicable, position requires an acceptable driving record in accordance with City of Las Cruces policies.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of: Policies, rules and regulations governing the conduct and safety of library programs and facilities; the Dewey Decimal System of classification, MARC tagging, library cataloging conventions, and Library of Congress Subject Headings; business and personal computers, and specialized software applications; City policies and procedures.
- Skills in: Entering information into a computer system with speed and accuracy; using barcode reader, typewriter, copier, label printer, materials cleaning machines, book knives, book trucks, metal security strips, and rubber stamps; working with several disparate computer database systems; using basic arithmetic for collection of fines and cashiering duties; providing customer service and reception duties; recognizing and resolving conflicts in library data entry; organizing workload to keep pace with flow of library materials.
- Ability to: Assess and prioritize multiple tasks, projects and demands; communicate effectively in verbal and written forms; establish and maintain effective working relations with co-workers and customers