CITY OF LAS CRUCES invites applications for the position of: Library Assistant (Circulation and Media)
SALARY: $11.57 / Hour
OPENING DATE: 08/20/21 / CLOSING DATE: 09/03/21 11:59 PM
NATURE OF WORK: Performs administrative office support activities and provides customer service in the functional areas of circulation, collection and cataloging in the public library. Work is performed in a library and office setting. Light physical demands; mostly desk work. Must be able to lift and carry up to twenty (20) pounds of books and push a loaded book cart up and down ramps. Frequent use of a personal computer. Position involves competing demands,performing multiple tasks, working to deadlines, occasional work beyond normal business hours,and responding to customer issues. Regular attendance is an essential function of this job to ensure continuity of services. Position is subject to drug testing in accordance with applicable State and Federal regulations and City of Las Cruces policies.
Meeting or exceeding the minimum requirements does not guarantee an invitation to participate in the process.
FIRST CONSIDERATION MAY BE GIVEN TO CURRENT CITY OF LAS CRUCES EMPLOYEES WHO MEET THE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS.
This posting will be used to fill a part-time, regular, non-exempt position, but may be used to fill multiple vacancies to include positions that are regular, or contract and may be full-time, part-time,or temporary in other sections of the library.This position is graded RN04.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Interacts with customers, responds to inquiries, issues of concern, and requests for information,or explanation regarding services, processes, and procedures such as the return of library materials, use of computers and location and retrieval of information, to provide the appropriate level of assistance and response.
- Updates and maintains information, records, systems, notices, and databases in various formats and mediums; processes library materials; assists with preparation and implementation of library programs; provides routine care and maintenance of library equipment as needed and directed to meet established goals.
- Receives, processes, and handles library materials for collection; retrieves items from book drops in a timely and consistent manner to accurately shelve materials within the appropriate area(s); affixes barcodes, security strips, spine labels, genre labels, and bookplates in accordance with established processes and procedures; repairs and replaces book jackets and performs minor repairs of materials; charges and discharges library materials at circulation points to provide appropriate levels of service and support.
- Collects fines using prescribed systems and methods; performs cashiering and cash handling functions to include receives cash, performs daily reconciliation, makes bank deposits, and maintains petty cash fund in accordance with City policy and procedures.
- Performs a variety research and support activities and assists with special projects as required;prepares and presents various special and recurring reports and forms to provide accurate and timely information.
DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS: This is the entry level in the Library Assistant job series, as such employees at this level perform support duties and provide library customer services utilizing appropriate skills. As experience is gained, there is greater independence of action within established guidelines.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Equivalent to a high school diploma plus one (1) year of administrative support experience in an academic, public, or specialty library. A combination of education, experience, and training maybe applied in accordance with City of Las Cruces policy.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES: Dewey Decimal System of classification, machine readable cataloging (MARC) tagging, library cataloging conventions, and Library of Congress Subject Headings; principles,techniques and practices of effective and respectful customer service; current office practices and procedures; occupational and environmental safety and health hazards, and safety practices; principles and practices of safe cash handling techniques; appropriate business English, including spelling, grammar and punctuation; business and personal computers, related software applications, and report generation; records management principles and record keeping practices; City organization, operations, policies and procedures to effectively perform the required functions and duties of the position.
Ability To: assess and prioritize multiple tasks, projects, and demands to meet critical deadlines and provide timely and effective customer service; read, communicate, and comply with policies,procedures, rules, and regulations governing related activities, programs, and functions; effectively operate an automated library circulation system; communicate appropriately, clearly, and concisely verbally and in written form; research and compile applicable information and maintain accurate records; establish and maintain effective working relations with co-workers and the public; make accurate arithmetic calculations; operate standard office equipment and timely and accurately enter data using a personal computer with basic and specialized software applications; prepare and present accurate and reliable reports containing findings; review documents and extract relevant information; use initiative and independent judgment within established procedural guidelines to successfully meet established goals and objectives.
Skills In: using initiative and independent judgment within established procedural guidelines;reading, understanding, and applying policies, procedures, and applicable rules and regulations;applying correct English usage, grammar, spelling and punctuation; performing mathematical calculations; effectively communicating information and responding to questions from the public and employees; operating various office tools and equipment and a personal computer with installed generic and specialized software; conducting research, updating information, and maintaining records and files in various mediums and formats; reviewing and verifying data,calculations, and documentation; maintaining accurate and timely records; preparing and presenting information in a clear and concise manner; demonstrating effective interpersonal communication skills.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE OBTAINED AND FILED ONLINE AT: http://www.las-cruces.org