The City of Las Cruces is hiring a Library Administrator.
Salary: $78,756.08 – $113,974.43 Annually
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Job Type: Full-time, Regular, exempt / This position is graded AD26
Department: Quality of Life
Job Number: C030 07-22 ES
Closing: 8/1/2022 11:59 PM Mountain
Nature of Work
- Plans, organizes, and directs the staff and activities of the public Library.
Work Situation Factors
- Position involves competing demands, performing multiple tasks, working to deadlines, occasional work beyond normal business hours, and responding to customer issues. Regular attendance is an essential function of this job to ensure continuity of services. Position is subject to drug testing in accordance with applicable State and Federal regulations and City of Las Cruces policies.
- Light physical demands; mostly desk work; some lifting of heavy books and materials. Frequent use of a personal computer.
- Work is performed in a library in a standard office environment.
FIRST CONSIDERATION MAY BE GIVEN TO CURRENT CITY OF LAS CRUCES EMPLOYEES WHO MEET THE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Plans, develops, organizes, implements and manages operations and staff to deliver informational, instructional, and research services to the general public; provides leadership to assure that services are provided in alignment with the City’s strategic goals and policies.
- Meets regularly with staff to review work in progress, discuss and resolve administrative, workload and technical issues, and to prioritize and assign tasks and projects; evaluates and analyzes functions, resources, processes, and procedures to identify issues and recommend changes for improvement; interprets statutes and regulations to provide guidance in developing, implementing, and administering policies and procedures.
- Manages staff through proper delegation and work supervision to ensure appropriate levels of service and resources; monitors work, evaluates performance, trains, counsels, coaches, and instructs employees in order to meet established goals and objectives; ensures staff adhere to established policies and procedures to remain in compliance with local, state and federal regulations.
- Develops, evaluates, recommends, and implements goals, objectives, policies and procedures to assure compliance with all laws, policies, and regulations; evaluates and analyzes issues and recommends and implements solutions to meet the needs of the community and assure effective and efficient operations.
- Develops, manages and monitors financial activities of assigned budgets to ensure compliance and meet performance targets; prepares special and recurring reports; analyzes future needs and forecasts resource requirements to direct, coordinate, and implement various projects and programs.
- Maintains expertise in library sciences and/or management and monitors trends in library practices to recommend operational and policy improvements; monitors operations and evaluates programs, services, and activities to assure they are meeting the needs of customers, and to identify and resolve issues.
- Represents the Library to internal and external customers, including elected officials, groups, and agencies; explains and interprets programs, policies, and activities and negotiates and resolves sensitive and significant issues within the scope of authority; coordinates services and programs with various regional organizations, community groups, and agencies; develops recommendations, summarizes issues, and makes presentations to various councils, boards, groups, and agencies to promote strategic initiatives and meet established objectives.
- Masters Degree in Library Science, Library and Resource Management, Library and Information Science, or related field AND five (5) years public library management experience. Three (3) years of qualifying experience must include supervision of staff. A combination of education, experience, and training may be applied in accordance with City of Las Cruces policy.
- Certification as a Permanent Professional Librarian in the State of New Mexico is required within ninety (90) days of date of hire.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Considerable Knowledge of: library organizations, procedures, technology, practices and trends; state and Federal resources for Library programs; principles and practices of administrative management, including personnel rules, budgeting, strategic planning and effective employee supervision; techniques and practices for efficient and cost effective management of resources; principles and practices of managing a library collection; program planning and management principles; policies, rules and regulations governing the conduct and safety of library programs and facilities; library classification, cataloging, and acquisition protocols; techniques and protocols for researching a wide variety of online bibliographic databases; business and personal computers, and specialized software applications; City municipal code, policies and procedures.
- Ability to: assess and prioritize multiple tasks, projects and demands; interpret and apply local, state, and federal rules, regulations, standards, policies, practices, and procedures; effectively communicate in verbal and written form to groups and individuals of varied backgrounds; establish and maintain effective and appropriate relationships with city employees and the public; firmly and impartially supervise, coach, counsel, mentor, lead and direct the activities of staff; use initiative and independent judgment within established procedural guidelines; read, interpret, and consistently apply policies, rules, and regulations; prepare and present accurate and reliable reports containing findings and recommendations; perform a wide variety of duties and responsibilities timely and with accuracy to meet deadlines and ensure achievement of City goals and objectives.
- Skills in: using initiative and independent judgment within established procedural guidelines; reading, interpreting, understanding, and applying policies, procedures, and applicable rules and regulations; assessing needs and developing and implementing effective solutions; researching, analyzing, and synthesizing data, evaluating alternatives and making logical recommendations based on findings; effectively managing and leading staff and delegating tasks; operating a personal computer with installed generic and specialized software; preparing and presenting information in a clear and concise manner; developing, coordinating and conducting library programs and activities; utilizing and evaluating automated library systems and computer equipment; identifying library collection issues and developing suggestions for enhancements; demonstrating effective interpersonal communication skills, building consensus among groups and individuals, and conflict resolution.
TO APPLY: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/lascruces/jobs/3620881/library-administrator