For more information and to apply, click here.
Librarian Senior (Adult Services)
- Selects, procures, organizes, and makes available data, information, and creative and scholarly works; provides services that assist and instruct people in the most efficient and effective ways to identify, locate, access, and use public information and resources; provides information and interpretation concerning library services, policies and procedures.
- Plans, develops, coordinates, promotes, presents and supervises various library programs and services to meet the needs of the community; conducts outreach programs, speaks to community groups and schools, and develops and distributes marketing materials to promote the City Library and programs.
- Manages and coordinates collection development; reviews various sources and lists of library books & materials available, evaluates options, selects materials to meet the needs of the community, and recommends additions to the collection; reviews and evaluates current collection and recommends the removal of books and other resources that are no longer appropriate for the collection; manages expenditures and budget.
- Performs library reference and research services using specialized bibliographic databases, Internet services and Inter-library loan resources; organizes reference services activities; analyzes and responds to difficult reference inquiries.
- Circulates materials and coordinates patron services; processes book requests; researches multiple databases to determine availability of items and correct source of borrowing; administers checking in and out procedures for Library materials; authorizes and initiates book renewals; creates new patron records; provides daily supervision and training for pages, volunteers and community service workers.
- Oversees, trains, and monitors the performance of assigned personnel; prepares schedules and assigns work activities to staff and volunteers; prepares and processes a variety of departmental reports including operational and statistical reports.
- Oversees library security and assures patrons comply with policies and procedures; performs special research and program development projects as assigned.
- Maintains expertise in field of service through participation in applicable educational opportunities.
- Master’s Degree in Library Science and three years experience in a public library environment. A combination of education, experience, and training may be applied in accordance with City of Las Cruces policy.
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of: Principles and practices of public library administration; methods and procedures for developing and maintaining library collections; policies, rules and regulations governing the conduct and safety of library programs and facilities; library classification, cataloging, and acquisition protocols; techniques and protocols for researching a wide variety of online bibliographic databases; business and personal computers, and specialized software applications; City municipal code, policies and procedures.
Ability to: Assess and prioritize multiple tasks, projects and demands; communicate effectively in verbal and written forms; establish and maintain effective working relations with co-workers and customers
Skills in: Performing a wide variety of technical library support functions; developing, coordinating and conducting library programs and activities; utilizing and maintaining automated library systems and computer equipment; library database research & maintenance; identifying library collection issues and developing suggestions for enhancements; working with several disparate computer database systems; providing customer services to and interacting with people of different social, economic, and ethnic backgrounds; recognizing and resolving conflicts in library data entry; organizing workload to keep pace with flow of library materials.