Artesia Public Library is hiring a Librarian I/II (Children’s Services)
Librarian I Hourly Range: $18.94
Librarian II Hourly Range: $22.55
Hours: 9:00 A.M. – 6:00 P.M.
Days: Monday – Saturday (rotating)
For full details and to apply visit: https://www.artesianm.gov/596/Jobs
- Librarian I: Bachelor’s degree in a related field or New Mexico State Library (NMSL) Grade II Certification required.
- Librarian II: Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS) degree from an ALA-accredited institution and New Mexico State Library (NMSL) Permanent Professional Certification required.
- Strong commitment to librarianship and public service.
- Willingness to participate in ongoing professional development.
- Must maintain professional memberships and certifications.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, content creation, and social media platforms.
Definition: Under the general supervision of the Library Supervisor, manage Adult Services, Children’s Services, Technical Services, or Teen Services.
Essential Functions: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may vary among positions, but may include the following tasks, knowledge, abilities, skills, and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and not intended to be a comprehensive listing of tasks performed by all positions in the classification.)
- Plan, promote, and conduct programs at the library and in the community.
- Work with groups and individuals to perform community outreach and promote library programs and services.
- Create bibliographies, brochures, and other marketing materials.
- Provide reader advisory services and reference services to all ages.
- Work at circulation desks as required.
- Select books, materials, and digital resources for the collection under the direction of the Library Director.
- Perform collection development including replacing and deselecting materials under the direction of the Library Director.
- Utilize the core values and principles of public librarianship in everyday library duties.
- Utilize professional library resources, knowledge of literature, knowledge of modern society, and professional judgment to make selections.
- Conduct tours of the library.
- Work in a collaborative team environment assisting other library staff members as needed.
- Stay aware of and work on grants under the direction of the Library Director.
- Perform regular retrieving and shelving of library materials.
- Perform classification and cataloging of print and digital materials.
- Perform other duties necessary for the efficient operation of the library under the direction of the Library Director and the Assistant Library Director.
- Technical Services Librarian:
o Develop and maintain library standards for the classification and cataloging of library materials under the direction of the Library Director.
o Work with other library staff to ensure classification and cataloging standards are followed.
o Maintain the ILS infrastructure and settings to ensure classification and cataloging standards are consistent.
o Ability to lead projects that could include new ILS systems, ILS migrations, RFID equipment, and other library technology.
Knowledge, Abilities, Skills and Other Characteristics:
- Knowledge of OCLC, Dewey Decimal Classification, and Library of Congress Subject Headings.
- Ability to prioritize work and follow through with projects.
- Ability to receive feedback and make changes accordingly.
- Ability to work effectively with others and interact pleasantly with public including children and the elderly.
- Ability to plan programs within a budget.
- Ability to abide by records management/destruction policies.
- Ability to explain and enforce library policy.
- Perform fiscal responsibility in the use of budgets and funding.
- Take pride in the quality of the work environment and the delivery of materials, programs, and services.
- Commitment to the overall organization and upkeep of the library.
- Excellent technology skills with ability to learn and teach.
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills.