#1 Highlights of the 2007/2008 Annual Report - Volunteers
How do volunteers impact NM public libraries?
According to the 2007/2008 annual report
- 10 NM public libraries were supported soley by volunteers
- 82% of New Mexico libraries reported using volunteers
- 5,547 volunteers supported NM public libraries. That's an average of 74 volunteers per library and a median of 10 volunteers per library.
- Volunteers contributed 17,332 hours per week for an average of 231 hours per library and a median of 19 hours per library.
- A total of 901,264 hours were contributed by volunteers to libraries in 2007/2008
- That's a total value of $13,527,972 at $15.01* per hour!
- Volunteers support the Summer Reading Programs, shelve books, help at service desks, run booksales, raise funds, staff tutoring programs, etc.
- Volunteers include retirees, retired librarians and teachers, other community members and teens.
What do public libraries say about their volunteers?
Capitan Public Library
Operated soley by volunteers, Capitan completed of a 2400 square foot addition and much of the work was done by a dedicated group of volunteers including the project coordinator Tom Mann who put in as many as 100 hours per month.
Corrales Community Library
Our biggest success story is our volunteer staff and the community spirit and cooperation it builds between the generations. We have over 70 volunteers, now including teens. They assist at the desk, with shelving and processing books. Teen volunteers assist with the summer reading program, teen game board night and shelving of the children’s collection for the library. Our older volunteers appreciate the help and really enjoy building rapport with these teens.
Clovis Carver Public Library
Our strong volunteer base of teens and National Honor Society students help out during the entire year with office work, technical services, children’s activities and other assignments.
Embudo Valley Library & Community Center
Our library is supported with a handful of part-time staff and an army of volunteers. Teen volunteers helped run the Ahora afterschool program and acted as circulation volunteers during the summer months.
Irene S. Sweetkind Public Library
A team of highly qualified volunteers under the supervision of Library Director Mary Badarak is assisting with a project to archive and preserve documents for the Town of Cochiti Lake dating from our beginnings in 1968.
Mountainair Public Library
Totally staffed by volunteers. In addtion, to operation of the library, volunteers set up and take down of the popular Summer Book Sale held each year during the Mountainair Sunflower Festival.
Santa Fe Public Library
The Libraries recruited 51 % more volunteers, a total of 223 giving 3,907 hours.
Vista Grande Public Library
The staff and volunteer corps have made the library the heart of the community.
*Value is based on for Library assistants, clerical
Library assistants, clerical - Total $15.01