Technical Services Bureau
Bradley Carrington, Chief <
TSB catalogs and processes all materials added to the New Mexico State Library (via deposit, purchase, donation, or digital capture). We follow and uphold local and consortia standards. We teach and train those who use these standards. We are in charge of quality control for the bibliographic, authority, and serial holdings records in both our local system and in our consortium, SALSA, and in our bibliographic utility, WorldCat.
- Library patrons, whoever they are, mean the most to us. We aim to make records as user-friendly and useful as possible.
- We are enriching metadata and holdings data for improved access to library resources, for New Mexicans and the world!
- We aim to catalog and shelf-process new deposits and acquisitions as soon as possible
- We will maintain accuracy; we will run quality control projects as necessary
- We will adhere to consortium and national standards: SALSA, OCLC, RDA, etc.
- For patron and staff needs, we will try to make all reasonable accommodations
- We value team work; we all aim to understand what everybody is doing
- We love feedback!
Let us know if you have a pressing need.
- Newspapers and periodicals checked-in on day of receipt (SF, ABQ, WSJ, NYT first thing in the morning)
- Microfilm reels received on subscription are checked in on day of receipt
- New purchases cataloged and processed within one week
- Track progress using date on routing slip
- Federal shipment boxes opened and checked against packing slips within one week
- For cataloging newly published state docs will take highest priority
- We will ship state publications to depositories on a semi-monthly schedule
- State deposits "copy 2 and copy 3" (the NMSL circulating copies) will be available before the monthly shipment is mailed
Exceptions apply if TSB member is on leave; we have backups in place for the "book drop" newspapers.
- 01-2014 // Shelf-processing
- 02-2014 // Call number prefix in item records
- 03-2014 // Documents not found on shelf
- 04-2014 // State documents processing/workflow
- 05-2015 // Workslips
- 06-2015 // Newspapers in microform
- 07-2014 // $3 in 856
- 08-2014 // Systems down
- 09-2016 // WorldCat responsibilities
- 10-2015 // withdrawing print volumes
- 11-2015 // SALSA Consortium RDA Cataloging
- 12-2015 // Separate bib records for manifestation versions
- 13-2015 // PSB and TSB creating item records Guideline deleted (When handling items and records TSB will make item records as much as possible.)
14-2015 // Cataloging electronic resources
- OCLC guideline
- PCC Provider-Neutral E-Resource MARC Record Guidelines
- CONSER Cataloging Manual: Module 31. Remote access electronic serials (online serials); see also 33.18 (online newsapapers) (available in Cataloger's Desktop)
- Polaris TOMs and MARC Coding
- WorldCat and Authority Record Quality Control Request
- 15-2016 // Local notes in item records
- 16-2016 // Serials control
- 17-2016 // Subject cataloging
18-2016 // Authority Control
We are PCC NACO members. In addition to RDA and the LC-PCC policy statements we also follow these instructions:
19-2017 // cataloging + shelf prep GPO FDLP Shared Regional Collection
NM State Publications Distribution Manual
- Distribution overview
- Processing NMSL copies
- Special treatments
- CONTENTdm Collection guidelines:
- Shiplists since June 2015