POLICY SAMPLES -- Recommended Policies for Public Libraries
The following types of policies are recommended for all public libraries in New Mexico. This page offers links to public library policies in the United States that may serve as a model for the policies you are writing for your library.
Challenged Material Policy
Sample Policies and Forms
- Materials Reconsideration Form - Kitchner Public Library (Ontario, Canada)
- Model Request for Reconsideration of Materials - The XYZ Public Library -- Northeast Iowa Library Service Area
- Selection and Reconsideration of Materials – Watertown (WI) Public Library
Children in the Library Policy
- Appropriate Behavior for Children in the Library – Henry County (MO) Public Library
- Children in the Library - Chattanooga-Hamilton (TN) County
- Children in the Library – Wichita Falls (TX) Public Library
- Circulation Policy – Artesia (NM) Public Library
- Circulation Policy – Marion (IA) Public Library
- Circulation Policy - Pittsfield (ME) Public Library
- Circulation Policy – Tempe (AZ) Public Library
Computer and Internet Policy
- Internet and Computer Use Policy – Burlington County (NJ) Library
- Internet Policy – Santa Clara County (CA) Library
- Internet Use Policy – Baldwin (WI) Public Library
- Internet Rules - Toronto Public Library, Ontario, Canada
Patron Code of Conduct Policy & Difficult Patrons Policy
- Handley Regional Library Safe Library Policy
- Difficult Patron Behavior - Success Stories from the WebJunction Community
- Code of Conduct – Los Alamos County (NM) Library System
- Niagra Falls (NY) Public Library Code of Conduct
- The Rules of Behavior in the Downers Grove (IL) Public Library
- Code of Conduct from Howe Library in Hanover, NH
Disaster planning is a unique set of plans that should be established by every public library. The following resources are available online.
- Disaster Planning for Computers and Networks - American Library Association
- The New Mexico State Records Center and Archives (SRCA) occasionally offers disaster planning workshops. To find out about workshops visit the Records and Archives Training web site.
The following titles are available through the State Library's Interlibrary Loan services
- Disaster Response and Planning for Libraries by Mariam B. Kahn. c1998. ISBN: 0838907164.
- Disaster Planning and Recovery: A How-to-do-it Manual for Librarians and Archivists by Judith Forston. c1992. ISBN: 1555700594.
- Disaster Planning: Soaring to Excellence Videos by the American Library Association. c2000. ISBN: 0838957692
- Art Exhibits/Gallery Wall Policy – Westlake Porter (OH) Public Library
- Wayland (MA) Free Public Library - Exhibits & Displays in the Library Policy
- Exhibits Policy - Appleton (WI) Public Library
- Exhibits Policy – Lucius Beebe Memorial Library, Wakefield (MA)
Meeting Room Policy
Sample Policies and Forms
- Meeting Room Policy – Denver Public Library
- Public Meeting Room Use Policy and Application – Socorro (NM) Public Library
Privacy Policies in Response to the USA Patriot Act
The Council of the American Library Association strongly recommends that the responsible officers of each library, cooperative system, and consortium in the United States:
- Formally adopt a policy which specifically recognizes its circulation records and other records identifying the name of library users to be confidential in nature.
- Advise all librarians and library employees that such records shall not be made available to any agency of state, federal, or local government except pursuant to such process, order, or subpoena as may be authorized under the authority of, and pursuant to, federal, state, or local law relating to civil, criminal, or administrative discovery procedures or legislative investigative power.
- Resist the issuance or enforcement of any such process, order, or subpoena until such time as a proper showing of good cause has been made in a court of competent jurisdiction.
Reference Service Policy
- Reference Policy – Jasper County (IN) Public Library
- Reference Service Policy – Glenview (IL) Public Library